The name of ‘Isabel’ (pronounced ‘IS uh bell’) is thought to have originated as the Spanish version of the name Elizabeth, which in turn originated from the Hebrew elīsheba’, meaning ‘God is my oath’, or ‘My God is a vow’. The name Isabel travelled from Spain, to France, and then onto England in the Middle Ages, where it soon became popular among royals.
‘Isabel’ has become an increasingly popular name this century. In 2004 it was the 87th most popular name in the US, and last year (2011) was ranked 128. It broke into the top 100 most popular baby names in the UK in 1998 (at 96th), and in 2010 rose to being the 58th most popular. In Isabel Lucas’s home country of Australia (new South Wales specifically), the name ‘Isabel’ broken into the top 100 most popular baby names at #92 in 2004 and reached a peak of 54 in 2008. In 2011 it was ranked #99 in New South Wales. In 2010 it was the 74th most popular girls name in New South Wales … Isabella was #1, and Isabelle was #34.
Kabalarians.com offers an analysis of the name ‘Isabel’, as well as those of some of Isabel’s characters, including Athena, Sarah and Tasha. Read them below – do you think they are accurate?
• Your first name of Isabel has given you a responsible, expressive, inspirational, and friendly personality. Expression comes naturally to you and you are rarely at a loss for words; in fact, you have to put forth effort at times to curb an over-active tongue. Self-confidence has made it easy for you to meet people and you are well-liked for your spontaneous, happy ways. You sincerely like people and do not often experience loneliness; your work and home-life are likely filled with association. Although the name Isabel creates the urge to be reliable and responsible, we emphasize that it frustrates you through a scattered and emotional nature. This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success.
– ‘Alice’ (Transformers) has exactly the same meaning as ‘Isabel’
• The name of Tasha (Home & Away) has created a congenial nature with the desire to associate in friendship and understanding both socially and in the business world. Peaceful and settled conditions appeal to you and you are naturally desirous of having the security of a home, where your life could follow a definite pattern, and where you would not have to make major decisions. You find it difficult to take a definite stand, partly because you lack confidence, and also because you dislike any issues which create dissension between people. Procrastination is a weakness of your nature, causing an inability always to complete your plans or to concentrate for long. Athough the name Tasha creates the urge to understand others, we emphasize that it limits your vision, tuning you to technical details. This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success.
• The name of Alison (Daybreakers) gives you a clever, quick, analytical mind, but you suffer with a great deal of self-consciousness, lack of confidence, and much aloneness because of misunderstandings. Your idealistic and sensitive nature gives you a deep appreciation for the finer things of life and a strong desire to be of service to humanity. There are times when you experience inner turbulence at your inability to say what you mean. It is far easier for you to express your deeper thoughts and feelings through writing than verbally. You find pleasure in literature, in poetry, and in your ideals and will turn to them when you feel you have been misunderstood. You are deeply moved by the beauties of life, especially nature. Although the name Alison creates an interest in the deeper aspects of life, we emphasize that it limits self-expression and friendly congeniality with a moody disposition.
• Your first name of Gwen (The Pacific) has created contrasting qualities in your nature. You desire change and varied experiences and you are capable in many areas, but you do not excel because of your scattering, impulsive desires. With supportive influence from other names you may use, you could be creative or artistic in a practical way, but basically this name is a plodding influence, though you have a desire for greater expression. Although you desire to avoid monotony, you seem to be attuned to system, order, and attention to detail. You can be very analytical, exacting, and patient as long as there is a challenge holding your interest, such as in the field of computers with its technical challenge. Although the name Gwen creates an active mind and a restless urge to explore new ideas, we emphasize that it limits your versatility and scope, tuning you to technical details.
• Your name of Erica (Red Dawn) makes you very idealistic and generous, with the strong desire to uplift humanity leading you into situations where you can express your desire to serve others. You want to assume responsibilities and to look after people; however, you can become too involved in other people’s problems and tend to worry. Your name gives you a natural desire to express along artistic and musical lines. You desire a settled home and family life, and are expressive and attentive to your loved ones. Although the name Erica creates the urge to be reliable and responsible, we emphasize that it causes an emotional intensity that is hard to control.
• Your name of Scarlett (The Waiting City) gives you a strong sense of responsibility in business and material affairs, and the practicality and determination to make a success of anything you undertake. Your ability to organize and direct the efforts of others enables you to excel in any managerial position because you have the ability to grasp the concept of a goal complete with an understanding of the steps to be taken. This name has allowed you to develop depth and breadth of mind. You are able to retain facts, to grasp new information to your existing store of knowledge. Although the name Scarlett creates the urge to be reliable and responsible, it can cause an unscrupulous, materialistic approach that frustrates higher humanitarian qualities. This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success.
• Mandy (A Heartbeat Away) as a first name gives you a very independent nature, yet you are friendly, approachable, and generous. You can be a spontaneous, expressive, and talkative person. Generally you are good-natured, though at times you can be rather blunt and sarcastic. This name incorporates creative, artistic, and musical abilities, and there would be an element of originality in all that you do. You like to do things on the spur of the moment without planning or prior arrangements. Your spirits are buoyed up greatly by encouragement and appreciation. Though the name Mandy creates the urge to be creative and original, we stress through a scattered and emotional nature, you suffer frustration. This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success.
• The name of Athena (Immortals) creates a very quiet, practical nature and a clever and inventive mind. Being analytical and naturally studious, you are interested in a factual understanding of the mysteries of life. Your methodical nature requires that you like to finish what you start without interruptions and also to have everything in its place and properly organized. An ability to concentrate could take you into computer programming or accountancy or any work requiring concentration and attention to detail. You have, also, a flair for creative expression with your hands. You take life seriously and can be easily and deeply hurt and go into moods which can be quite extreme at times, causing much turmoil and unhappiness. Although the name Athena creates an interest in the deeper aspects of life, we emphasize that it limits your versatility and scope, tuning you to technical details. This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success.
• Your name of Sarah (The Loft) makes you easy-going and refined, but detracts from your physical vitality. You desire all the finer things in life–lovely clothes, home, furniture, and environment. However, procrastination is your worst enemy, and you find yourself lacking the ambition to make your dreams a reality. People are inclined to take advantage of your sympathetic, tractable nature. You naturally attract people with problems who seek your understanding and advice. You can give good advice although it is unlikely that you would follow it yourself. You would be most successful in situations where you can use your skills in diplomacy in handling people, but where you are not under pressure or required to carry responsibility and make decisions. It is difficult for you to be individual and make your own decisions, for you lack self-confidence. Though the name Sarah creates the urge to understand and help others, we emphasize that it causes procrastination, lack of confidence, and the inability to realize your goals and ambitions. This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the fluid systems.