Director: Terrence Malick
Writer: Terrence Malick
Co-starring: Christian Bale (as Rick), Natalie Portman, Cate Blanchett, Freida Pinto, Wes Bentley, Teresa Palmer, Imogen Poots, Antonio Banderas, Joel Kinnaman, Holly Hunter
Genre: Drama, Romance
Filming: Filming started in Malibu in late May 2012. It will be shot in and around California.
Terrence Malick is famous for keeping details of his film plots secret – very few details are ever released during production. Isabel’s father told reporters that “it’s long been kept under wraps. The plot of the story hasn’t even been explained to the participants.”
Several short, one-line descriptions of the film have been used -
- One man’s search for love and truth
- A man reflecting on a series of relationships with beautiful women
- A man, temptations, celebrity, and excess.
Most recent reports say it is about “the LA movie business”, producers on the film have confirmed this.
Photos: Gallery at Isabel Lucas Online
Videos: currently none available
• Malick is filming this movie straight after he does Untitled Terrence Malick Project, which is said to be a ‘follow up’ to Knight Of Cups and will also co-star Bale, Portman and Blanchett alongside Ryan Gosling and Rooney Mara (but not Isabel!).
• Isabel’s character’s name was originally listed as being Caroline, but it changed to Isabel in late 2012.
» Andrew Lucas (Isabel’s father) – “Of course Isabel’s excited about working with those three (Portman, Bale and Blanchett) but he’s the big attraction.”
» Isabel Lucas – “Christian Bale, his generosity and sensitivity … he’s an incredible person. To describe what he’s like as an actor would never do him justice. I learnt so much from him, from his fierce truth.”
» Isabel Lucas – “If I could work with Terrence again one day that would be a dream. He wants to capture truth and the realness of raw human emotions, raw human moments, the moments that will always connect us all. To see the vulnerability in all of us, the imperfectness in all of us, it’s heartening and beautiful.”
» Isabel Lucas – “It was an incredible growth opportunity, not just professionally but also on many other levels. I felt so full of appreciation to be part of that project. I’ve always admired Terrence’s work, how he is an artist, how free and trusting he is, and the way he works so humbly and so in harmony with the team.”
» Isabel Lucas – “Terrence is a man of such integrity and an incredible artist … it was such a magical experience and I am so grateful. And Christian taught me so much and was very generous with me. Cate seems like such a guiding light and so conscious in so many ways … I really admire her. And Natalie was so lovely, really kind and sweet.”
Isabel gave an interview to The Cairns Post in October 2012, and spoke about her experiences working on the film.
• Isabel Lucas Online‘s Press page (related: 2012 interviews)
• News & Updates for Knight Of Cups at Isabel Lucas Online